What is a Community Fridge?
A community fridge is a way of reducing the amount of good food that is thrown away.
Did you know that the average family wastes £470 a year throwing away food and drink and £3 billion is wasted by other food sectors, yet 4 million people are living in poverty?!
We receive food from Marks and Spencer, Banstead and Co-op, Kingston Road, Ewell. The food can vary from non-perishable items to chilled foods and fruit and vegetables, but we don't know what we will be getting each day.
Using the community fridge is a great way of trying new foods for your family, without the expense of buying it, only to discover it isn't liked or appreciated!
The fridge will be open Monday-Friday 10.30-3.00 daily if we have collected food that day.
To check if we have had a collection please follow our Facebook page (Ewell Family Centre) or call the centre office 020 8337 7310 Option 1
We will be operating the fridge under COVID-19 measures to keep us ALL safe.
- On arrival please press the reception bell. You may be invited into the centre to collect the food (this depends on other activities in the centre)
- Only 1 adult will be permitted into the centre.
- Please wear a face covering and use the hand sanitiser before coming inside
- Once inside you will be asked to sign in and wait in a dedicated area whilst staff assist you.
- Please download the NHS COVID app prior to allow you to scan the QR code (this will save you completing a very long form)
We provide a service to support families, therefore this fridge is for the benefit of families with children under the age of 18 years.
- Please bring a bag.
- Do not take or consume any item that smells gone-off or appears suspicious for any other reason.
- Do not take or consume any item if you have an allergy, we cannot guarantee there has been no contamination with other products.
- There are no restrictions, but we ask you to be considerate to other, only take what you need and what you will use.
- Please wash fruit and vegetables before consuming them.
- If you take frozen items, please put them back in a freezer as quickly as possible. Once defrosted please consume that day.
- Seek medical advice immediately if you are unwell after eating food from the community fridge and inform the family centre staff.
- Do not use food from the fridge for profit or personal gain.